Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Swarsh, swarsh, swarsh...


...and flutter flutter went his little heart today! :) We saw our baby's heart! THERE IS ONLY ONE IN THERE!!! (Thank goodness!)

It swarshed very quietly on the Ultrasound and it flutter-flicked on the screen. There is no "baby" to really view at this point, but there was a clear and distinct heart pumping away. I'm showing at 7 weeks, 2 days, which is right around what we expected just based on my cycle.

It was exciting, but now that I'm of "advanced maternal age" and because my family now has a member with diabetes, they want to test me early for gestational diabetes. I get tested in two weeks! VERY Early for that test, but I guess it is good to get it out of the way.

I'm terrified of the test. I was last go round too. I had very clean eating for the first 7 or so months last time around and tried really hard to avoid empty carbs. I tested a few points within acceptable range (a couple of points from the cut off) and so I was good to go. This go round, I'm older and (as of late) not eating as well.

It is really harder this time around because everything makes me ill. Almost everything, that is. The idea of a potato, mac and cheese or slice of bread is NOT unappetizing. The idea of most other things do make me wanna hurl. My stomach isn't easily settled in the a.m. I am able to eat a lot of fruits, but most veggies are not appetizing. I can eat some salads, but I cannot handle most vegetables except the ones i grew up with, which aren't the healthiest. (Think: corn, peas, green beans, especially canned or frozen).

Too early to really freak out. I'm going to do my best to at least eat homemade meals the next two weeks and get to the gym (which was dang near impossible over the past week and a half). I have been feeling so zapped lately, but I have to make it a priority. The longer I'm away, the harder it will be as i grow to get BACK to working out!

It was exciting to hear that things look good and as they should. It was nice to hear that the last doc I had sewed me up correctly to where I might be able to Vbac if I don't have other issues that come up along the way. The midwife we met with is really nice but seemed slightly put off by my...exactness? And questions. I guess they aren't used to people like me! She asked my husband, "Is she always like this?" and when we left, I told him, "WOW! That was NOTHING!" I usually have a long list of concerns and questions in tow and question doctors about everything, not just things I'm doing. They don't always like this. I don't care. I think its odd that they expect people NOT to be more involved in decisions concerning their BODIES!

Anyhoo. I had a good first visit and look forward to the next one. I haven't told the little one about her sibling yet, and do not know when to start to introduce the idea to her. She's ready and willing, but I want to be sure things stay "okay" before I get her excited! :)

Great day!!!!

1 comment:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Maybe try these foods:
-edamame beans (Japanese soy beans..boiled, with salt, contains protein)
-wild/brown rice
-Kelloggs Satisfaction cereal (decent protein per serving)
-whole grain (flourless) bread w/peanut butter
-oatmeal made w/milk (good carbs at least)
-whole wheat pasta

Sorry to hear about the weirdo appetites, but so glad to hear that baby is doing well. Good luck with the diabetes tests!!! *hugs*