Tuesday, January 20, 2009

On keeping my legs together...

There has been an interesting development in my pregnancy. I have had some "normal" pains here and there and I didn't think TOO much of it until they got to be worse. I had some days where I wanted to cry. This is all in the last week or so that things have escalated.

It isn't too bad really. The worse part is that sitting hurts, standing hurts and walking hurts. Pretty much all daily movements like putting pants on, getting in and out of the car, going up stairs, etc HURT--sometimes quite badly. No biggie, right?

Obviously, I am trying to make light of my suffering. This really is a pain in the ass and quite upsetting. I have been researching and learned that the pain has a name and can be long lasting, even into post partum. It is called SPD or SYMPHYSIS PUBIS DYSFUNCTION.

It is caused by pregnancy and the hormones which are released at too large of a quantity, too soon, in some moms. Having multiple pregnancies increases your chances of having it. But it seems quite random as a lot of first time moms seem to be stricken with it. Some people don't have it set in until delivery and then it lasts a few weeks or months. Some people get it early in pregnancy and it gets worse as things progress. For some lucky few, it starts late in pregnancy and disappears after birth. I hope I am one of those individuals!!!

There are a number of interesting articles and explanations (and forums) online discussing the issue. Most say there are therapies available for treatment but I don't know what I'll be covered to have just yet or what my midwives will recommend. I did call my chiro (which i pay out of pocket for) only to find out that she isn't certified or trained to treat in what I need. I am going to see her this weekend for a referral to someone else. I just don't now how much I can afford to pay out of pocket for treatment!

It gets worse as the baby gains weight, so there is some fun in store for me yet! Sometimes it can make delivery more difficult since your range of motion in your hips is compromised quite a bit. For now, I get in and out of my car with my legs together and move in bed the same way. I sit to get dressed and do not ever balance on one leg (as you would while standing and putting pants on). I go slowly up and down stairs and have lots of clicking sounds in my hips. I think its these bones/ligaments moving around in my pelvis.

Last night, while falling asleep, I coughed and heard 3 distinct popping sounds out of my hip/pelvic area. VERY WEIRD.

I am going to call the midwives in a bit to see what they recommend. I would talk to them at my next appointment Thursday, but Thursday I see an OB for my consult in case I have a C-section. I will hopefully get in to see the midwives the same day just for a quick discussion of this latest exciting development! :)

No comments: