Thursday, January 8, 2009

Some C-Section Talk

Photobucket

As delivery of this child grows nearer, I am starting to wonder about what my fate will end up being. Will I be able to VBAC as I am hoping, or will I be facing a repeat C-section?

We are proceeding in hopes of a vaginal delivery since I'm not sure that this will be my last child and I would hate to undergo major abdominal surgery two or three times if it can be helped.

Two months after my c-section, almost four years ago (in three weeks), I had to undergo a (traditional incision) gall bladder removal. That was two major surgeries in weeks of each other in one year. I was not happy about so much recovery time and I hope that I won't have to go through it all again after this pregnancy ends.

I was reading a few things online and ran across some interesting articles. This one is about the c-section rates in Canada, which are lower than they are here in the U.S. According to the article, first time moms are having C-sections for convenience or because they are fearful of delivery. Don't most people know that our bodies were MADE to do this?

The rates are even higher if you have had a C-section before. Apparently, most moms who have C-sections opt to have repeat Cs or are required to since fewer and fewer doctors are willing to take on the "risks" involved in VBACs. This article discusses how lightly the surgery is taken by doctors and moms. It seems that many are eager to see their children earlier rather than later and avoid the last week or two of pregnancy, which are infamously long, uncomfortable and sometimes painful. Doctors are often willing to accommodate these requests, or would like earlier surgeries to keep their own schedules balanced.

I just don't know how something so major and dangerous has become so common and misunderstood. Many first-time-moms are unaware of the risks of a C-section.

Here is a final great blog entry that does a good job examining the issue from several different angles. I found it interesting and enjoyed how it connected to so many other informative pieces!

ENJOY!

No comments: